About Our School
Accepting Elementary Enrollment Applications
Advantage Arts Academy is a tuition-free public charter school in Herriman, Utah. Our rigorous curriculum is paired with arts integration to provide an enriched classroom focused on academics and creativity.
Advantage Arts Academy is the only elementary school in Utah using the Beverley Taylor Sorenson Arts Learning Program (BTSALP) model as a focus and not as a supplemental add-on program. By aligning the BTSALP model components, such as the instructional model, arts integration is incorporated in all core curriculum courses.
Our students are successful learners with opportunities for growth and creativity. We invite you to learn more about our arts integration program, to come take a tour of the school, or to reach out with your questions.
The mission of Advantage Arts Academy (AAA), in alignment with the Beverley Taylor Sorenson Arts Learning Program, is to effectively increase our students’ performance in every subject, as well as improve students’ core academic capacity, emotional well-being, arts awareness, and social skills.
The school’s mission incorporates the four components of the Beverley Taylor Sorenson Arts Learning Program. These components include:
- Arts integration with the core curriculum
- Collaborative planning time with the Arts Integration Specialist and classroom teacher
- Time for side-by-side teaching
- Professional development provided by professional development partners
“The arts are an essential element of education, just like reading, writing, and arithmetic…music, dance, painting, and theater are all keys that unlock profound human understanding and accomplishment.”
-- William Bennett, Former US Secretary of Education
Video - The Beverley Taylor Sorenson Arts Learning Program
Advantage Arts Academy’s curriculum will be aligned to the Utah Core Standards and will be chosen based on the following criteria, including supplemental resources:
- Research based;
- Standards are outlined and aligned to the Utah Core Standards in each specific content area;
- Materials are available to students and parents in both electronic and written formats whenever possible;
- Curriculum based assessments are available;
- Supplemental resources support a tiered model of instruction with interventions outlined for each specific tier;
- Enhancement resources are available;
- Instructional materials/teacher’s manuals, etc. support the resources provided for students; and
- Supports AAA’s mission and model.
Curriculum for the core subjects will be selected from already developed sources, such as textbooks, leveled reading libraries, and digital curriculum. Arts integration lessons that support and deliver the core subject standards will be developed in conjunction with the Arts Integration Specialists from open resources such as Art Works for Kids, and ArtsEdge Kennedy Center, and other online resources. These developed lessons will be delivered in conjunction with the core curriculum instructional materials.
Patriotic, Civic, and Character Education
AAA will promote student character education to reaffirm values and qualities of character which promote an upright and desirable citizenry. The civic education will help cultivate informed students, encourage responsible participation in political life, and promote the fundamental values and principles of representative democracy in Utah and the United States.
We will teach patriotic education as part of the social studies curricula. Examples of civic education include:
- History of the flag, etiquette, customs pertaining to the display and use of the flag, and other patriotic exercises;
- Role modeling patriotic values associated with the flag;
- Forms of government; and
- The Pledge of Allegiance to the flag.
It is acceptable for an elementary school student to choose not to participate in the Pledge of Allegiance for religious or other reasons and students should show respect for individuals who participate and who choose not to participate. Exemptions to civic education are outlined under Utah Rule.
Still Curious About How We Support Learning?
- Contact Us! We are happy to answer your questions and support parents choice in education.
- Schedule a tour - call us to arrange a personal tour of the campus. If your schedule doesn't allow you to attend in person you can view the virtual 360 tour.
- Read the Creative Outlet Newsletters Center State feature to see recent art integration projects.
- Apply now and witness the advantage!